Sunday, June 17, 2012
Yay i'm here to blog about my little gig at esplanade concourse yesterday and today (: it was a truly memorable experience!! :D I'm really glad I agreed to play piano accompaniment for those few pieces hehe even though i was kinda stressed along the way cos of lack of time to practice and cope with sch work and all :/ but it was truly awesome, cos it gave me one last chance to step onto the stage and perform once again (: i really miss that feeling haha... the butterflies in my stomach before my item begins, and that heady adrenaline rush and the sound of blood pounding in my ears as i bow to the sound of applause at the end of the item (: haha it's really hard to describe that feeling, but let's just say it feels really really good, and really uplifting. :D
and i'm glad that i made some new friends through this thing! (: the NUSHO members are all really nice and friendly, and so passionate about their music! it kinda makes me regret not putting in even more of myself into my music when i was still playing in RJ harmoc haha. and during RG strings days also. hehh. Music always always sounds better when you give your all, and really just
feel the music, instead of simply playing notes (which is something i'm guilty of when i'm tired or sian).
And the thing about music is that, if you play it just right, you can really feel it like it's almost tangible... it's a very pleasurable feeling that kinda reaches down to the depths of your soul. (: that's how i felt when i played 2nd movt of Bach Double Violin Concerto in D minor. it's a reallyyyyy beautiful piece, so beautiful that mere words would not do it justice. it's like, soothing, melodious, rich and expressive all at the same time. ((: I'm glad that we decided to change our programme to accomodate this hehe(even though it was really last min heh cos we only decided on Fri that we'd perform 2nd movt instead of 1st movt for Sat, omg 1 day's notice!!) The audience really deserves to know what a beautiful piece of work this is. I think most people have not heard this movt before, as it always tends to get overshadowed by the widely popular 1st movt. wow i really miss this piece alr hehe D:
I enjoyed playing 1st movt of double violin concerto too! (: but it was a different sort of liking i guess! (: I liked this movt mostly because it's really typical baroque style, which i LOVE ABSOLUTELY ((: and it's energetic and vivacious and well, beautiful too, but a different sort of beautiful from the 2nd movt (: i still prefer playing the violin for this though, but the piano part was great too haha, a new perspective into the movt la. If i had not played for this, I would not have realised that the piano actually has a large chunk of the main melody too! (: the beginning theme by the 2nd violin reappears in the bass line of the piano part (: Totally did not realise it before this, even though i've heard the movt like a million times.
I also accompanied Bachanalia and Viva Vivaldi, both by James Moody. Apparently he's quite a well-established composer in the harmoc scene. (: I didn't really like these 2 pieces v much at first, but slowly grew to appreciate them the more i played them. I really like the middle portion of Viva Vivaldi though haha, the andante portion. (: It's again the expressive sort hehe (: ahhhh i think i'm a sucker for slow music (: prob cos it allows the player quite a lot of room for expressiveness ((:
I also really like all the soloists I performed with hehe they're all really nice and so so focused on playing the music
right [i.e. just the way the composer would have wanted it to be] (: respect!! haha xD and i'm realllyyy thankful to Grace for inviting me to play for this event (: it was truly a great opportunity for me to gain more exposure and also to calm my stressed mind from sch and all ((:
I'm having concert hangover again! AHHH! ): i know how i always think that my most recent performance is gonna be my last one, ever, but that's usually not the case because more opportunities will present themself at a later time. Well this time i really really feel like this is gonna be my last gig ))): really hope more opportunities come along later! (: Putting up a performance is hard work, but it's worth it, because the satisfaction after the performance is indescribably great (((:
anyway, good job NUSHO! (: and thanks for all the wonderful memories ((: